Copyright © 2007 Solomon's Evangelical Lutheran Church - Chambersburg, PA - All Rights Reserved
In 1736, the first Germans from Lancaster and York counties settled in the southern part of Franklin County. One of the earliest of these German settlements was just south of Chambersburg, known as the "Grindstone Hill" settlement. After 1764, the ingress of the Germans was so great that they soon owned the better part of Guilford Township.
The Germans loved their church and made early provision for the permanent establishment of the ordinances of religion among them. An occasional sermon was preached to the scattered Lutherans of the settlement by ministers passing through the valley on horseback.
The Lutheran and the Reformed congregations united in their efforts to secure a suitable place to build a house of worship. In 1766, the original church, a log structure, was built. It was situated on the opposite side of the highway from the present church, but this new place of worship was not completed for twelve years due to the poverty of the people. The services were held in it although there was no floor or stove for warmth. A stove and other needed supplies were provided in 1778. It was considered one of the finest buildings in the settlement. The log church served a good purpose for sixty-seven years, after which it was sold for thirty dollars and moved four miles east where it became known as "Fetterhoff Chapel."
As the Lutheran congregation increased in number, a new church was required. The Lutheran and Reformed congregations again united in erecting another house in which to worship the God of their fathers.
The corner-stone of the brick church was laid in May 1833. It was built in the form of a parallelogram, with the pulpit at one end, the doors at the other, surrounded by a spacious gallery. The dedication service was held on November 24th of the same year. The building was constructed for approximately $3,000.
On March 17, 1929 more than 700 people crowded into the sanctuary for the re-dedication service.
In 1932, two electric light standards were placed in the front of the church to illuminate the church property. A concrete block retaining wall was constructed at the front of the church due to the construction of the Chambersburg-Waynesboro road.
A two and one-half story educational building was completed and dedicated in 1951. The cost was approximately $33,000. Later the sanctuary was carpeted, an electric organ purchased, the furnace repaired, and the driveway blacktopped.
In 1972 a pipe organ was designed, built and installed by M.P. Moller, Inc. for approximately $13,000.
In 1978 the union church was dissolved. The United Church of Christ (previously called Reformed) built a new church on Route 914 and the Lutherans remained in the brick building.
In 1983 a new painting of Christ in Gethsemane by artist Harry Bentz replaced the one that adorned the altar since 1928.
A Bell Tower with Cross was placed on the southwest lawn of the church in 1997.
Solomon's church took a bold step forward in 2000 to build a Fellowship Center. It was dedicated to the service of the Lord on April 22, 2001. This new facility gives us the opportunity to increase community outreach, fellowship and family and youth programs.
Our goal is to continue to serve the community as a beacon of the light and love of Jesus Christ.